Nagasawa Castle was originally built in the 1440s by Nagasawa Shirō, a vassal of the lord of Ganryakujijō, Sekiguchi Naoyuki, who in turn served the Imagawa Clan. In 1467, Matsudaira Nobumitsu attacked Nagasawajō, conquering it. He then put his son, Chikanori, in charge of Nagasawa. Matsudaira Chikanori is credited with founding the Nagasawa-Matsudaira branch clan, one of the eighteen clans of the Matsudaira. The castle was abandoned in 1590 when the Matsudaira were relocated to Edo along with Tokugawa Ieyasu by Toyotomi Hideyoshi.
The histories of this site and Ganryakuji Castle on the mountain above are conflated.
No ruins remain of Nagasawa Castle, but for those interested in visiting there are two places one should go. The first place is a small park between the motorway and the residential block on the northern side. Hidden in a sunken space at the corner of the park there is a small stone marker signifying the site of Nagasawajō. There is also an explanatory board for the castle in front of the school to the south. This board shows a map of the castle ruins from 1699! Of course, before castlemania took a hold in our current times, the original castle fans were from the Edo period, and they left an important source of information for us by cataloguing their local medieval castle ruins. Based on such resources (『三河宝飯郡長沢村御殿跡絵図』、『浅野文庫絵図長沢』、『諸国古城之図』), we see that Nagasawa Castle was fairly spacious, with a central square compound with ramparts about 50m in length on each side, and an overall footprint of around 250m north-south by 200m east-west.
|English Name||Nagasawa Castle|
|Year Founded||Before 1446|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Meiden-Nagasawa on the Meitetsu Nagoya Line; 4 min walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7; Free; Park|
|Time Required||20 minutes|
|Location||Toyokawa, Aichi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 52' 10.52" N, 137° 17' 21.98" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2023|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|
|Oshiro Tabi Nikki|