As the name implies, the Nakagoshoshugo-yakata was once the fortified residence of the Shugo (provincial governor). It is said that a palace was built by the Urushida Clan to house Minamoto Yoritomo during his visit to Zenkōji in 1197. In the 1387, during the Nanbokuchō Period, the Ogasawara, Murakami, Shimaźu and Takanashi clansmen rebelled against the Shugo and attacked the Nakagosho, fighting with the Ninomiya Clan who were protecting it. The rebellion was ultimately successful. The Ogasawara Clan were in any case the traditional rulers of Shinano and monopolised the hereditary position of Shugo, ruling as hegemons in the Muromachi Period. Their rule was tumultous, however, and a major rebellion took place in nearby Shinonoi in 1400 against Ogasawara Nagahide. In 1446 there was a civil war within the Ogasawara Clan for which the Nakagosho was apparently the stage. Following Nagahide's and Masayasu's lordship, a succession dispute had broken out between Mochinaga, Nagahide's nephew and Muneyasu, Masayasu's son. Muneyasu fled to his brother Mitsuyasu in Ina, and Mochinaga settled in Matsumoto, founding Fukashijō (Matsumoto Castle).
There are no tangible remains of this yakata (fortified manor house). Naka is "middle", gosho is "palace" and shugo refers to provincial governors. Opposite Nakagosho Park there is a small shrine with an explanation board about the yakata's history. A map show's the fortifications footprint overlaid over the surrounding area as it is today.
|English Name||Nakagoshoshugo Yakata|
|Founder||Urushida Clan; Ogasawara Clan|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Nagano Station on the Shinonoi Line; 7 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||Free; 24/7; Shrine|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Nagano, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 38' 20.47" N, 138° 11' 12.23" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
Enable comment auto-refresher