Nirengijō was constructed by Toda Munemitsu in 1493. Lord Toda left his son, Norimitsu, in charge of the Toda headquarters at Tahara Castle and constructed Nirengi Castle. It is theorised that the castle was built to counter the threat posed by Funagatayamajō which was built by the Imagawa Clan. The Toda originally served the Matsudaira Clan, but, as with many smaller peripheral clans in Mikawa, would switch their allegiance between the Matsudaira and Imagawa.
Following the kidnapping of baby Takechiyo (whom you may know as Tokugawa Ieyasu) from the Imagawa (he was given to the Oda), the Imagawa attacked the Toda at Tahara and defeated them. The clan survived at Nirengijō as vassals of Tokugawa Ieyasu. Nirengijō was abandoned in 1590 when the clan moved to Kantō with the Tokugawa.
Nirengijō is an earthworks castle ruin in Toyohashi City. The site is maintained as a park next to an old folks’ home. The site is fairly well preserved and is quite interesting in that there are also trenches beneath the earthen on the ramparts on the inside of the bailey – rather than just on the outside as with most moats.
|Pre Edo Period
|Dorui, Karabori, Kuruwa
|Azumada Station on the Toyo Rail Azumada Main Line; 8 minute walk
|24/7; Free; Park
|Toyohashi, Aichi Prefecture
|34° 46' 12.50" N, 137° 24' 52.67" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited
|Friends of JCastle
|Nippon Shiro Meguri