Nishiyama Castle (Chiisagata)
It is thought that Nishiyamajō and related sites were built by the Unno Clan around 1330 to protect their territory from the encroachment of the Murakami Clan to the west.
There are a series of fort sites on the west side of the Sumiyoshi Valley believed to predate the Murakami Clan forts. These earlier sites, of which only vague suggestions remain in the shape of the hillsides, are thought to have been built by the Unno Clan. They are at lower elevation than the Murakami sites and seem to have been built much more crudely. The first fort of these is Nishiyamajō. It shares the same mountain leg as Nakanojō and Kemijō, located further up, and these three may be grouped together as the Nishiyamajō Fort Group. There are explanatory boards at each of the sites. Further to the north is another site, Shirayamajō.
|English Name||Chiisagata Nishiyama Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Ueda Sation on the Shinano Railway; bus to Kamishina; 20 minute walk to Sumiyoshi|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; mountain|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Ueda, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 25' 18.62" N, 138° 17' 2.11" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2022|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|