Ômiyahachiman-yakata was the fortified manor hall of Katakoshi Kiyokatsu during the early 15th century. It was square in layout and measured about 60m². Kiyokatsu was active between 1418 and 1433, and is recorded as making religious offerings and statuary in the area. The Katakoshi Clan was present in the area from the Kamakura Period into the Muromachi Period. The clan began as a branch clan of the Kose Clan which colonised Shinano in antiquity. At that time Shinano, much like Izumo, was a frontier where strange and appalling gods were worshipped; such provinces were eventually absorbed by the Yamato polity.
Ômiyahachiman-yakata is a yakata (fortified manor hall) site. It is named for a shrine 200m to the north. The site today is made up of agricultural fields and a farmstead. Where the earth rises up at the road side and above the field beyond is thought to be the remnants of the earthen ramparts which surrounded the manor hall. One castle blogger suggests that a small irrigation channel here represents the remains of a moat. A large tree marks the spot of the corner of the fortification.
|English Name||Ohmiyahachiman Yakata|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Nearest station is Hirôka Station on the Shinonoi Line|
|Visitor Information||Private Property|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Shiojiri, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 9' 6.62" N, 137° 59' 6.32" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2021|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|