Saku Teshirozuka Castle
Teshiroźukajō was built in 1486, perhaps by Nagao Akimori, since it would become his residence. Nagao Akimori was a member of the Ôi Clan, and he died fighting the Takeda Clan. It is said that when Ôi Tadamasa lost Iwaojō to the Takeda Clan in 1520 he fled to Teshiroźukajō and found a gōrin stupa dedicated to Nagao Akimori. Because the moats between the baileys at Teshiroźukajō are not deep they may have been numabori (swamp moats), a type of mizubori (wet moat), originally.
The main bailey of Teshiroźukajō is a small hill over-looking the Chikuma River. The main bailey complex consists of a few of baileys which taper along the hill. The most impressive thing was the sleek profile of the hill which with its steep sides looked very much like a hill fort should. In the gloom its mass was a shadowy outline cut out of the remotest black. The second and third baileys are separated by depressions which look like karabori, but wide and not very deep, at least not now, and both the depressions and baileys appear to be vegetable patches. These outer baileys are situated much lower than the main bailey. The signboard for the castle is in front of the second bailey, and the earthen embankments are clear as soon as one approaches the site. The third bailey is a little higher than the second and overlooks an adjacent road which swoops down beneath the castle mount toward the river. The third bailey is now a cemetery plot.
|English Name||Saku Teshirozuka Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Artifacts||Kuruwa, Kirigishi, Karabori|
|Access||Komoro Station on the Shinano Railway; 15 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; mountain|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Komoro, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 19' 50.45" N, 138° 24' 42.88" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2021|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|