Sendatsujō was built by Takeda Nobutora in 1528 as part of his invasion of Suwa. The fort consisted of at least four baileys straddling a hilltop overlooking a deep creek, and it likely had some kind of moat on the sloping terrain to the south. Its main gate was located to the southeast. The fort was later the residence of Tada Tsunemasa who was killed at the Battle of Nagashino in 1575, and his cenotaph is found at the temple which was built on the castle ruins thereafter in his memory.
The site of Sendatsujō is now that of the temple Jōshōji. Its history is linked to the invasion of Shinano from Kai by Takeda Nobutora. It is located on the Shinano (Nagano) side of the border with Kai (Yamanashi), and in fact the locality itself is simply called Sakai, meaning ‘Border’. The castle is well known amongst castle bloggers, it seems, as many blogs feature it, though few ruins remain. There is a stele marking the castle and what looks like a new (or renewed) explanatory board in front of the temple’s parking area. There are the remains of embankments near the temple hall and cemetery, and the hilltop has flattened spaces suggestive of kuruwa (baileys). Ishigaki (stone wall) is from the time of the temple, not the fort. There is a creek to the north which forms a natural barrier, and the dorui (earthen ramparts) which remain are banked up on this side of the fort but not the sloping hillside.
|English Name||Sendatsu Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Shinano-Sakai Station on the Chūō Main Line; 30 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7; free; temple|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Fujimi, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 52' 51.24" N, 138° 17' 39.70" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2022|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|
|Shiro to Kosenjo|