Suwa Ohhouri Yakata
Suwa-Ôhōri-yakata was the residence of the high priest, the Ôhōri, of Suwa Shrine up until the end of the Edo period. The yakata was referred to by many names, including Gōdono ('God Hall' (神殿)), implying a sacred place rather than just a regular residence. The yakata was first constructed at its present site in the latter part of the 16th century when the priests still acted in dual part as feudal lords. The vast mansion was surrounded by moats, forming a veritable fortress in a quarter circle shape. In the Edo period the priests' political power was severely restricted as the Suwa Domain daimyō ruled from Takahima Castle. Following the Meiji Restoration, the position of Ôhōri was abolished, the priests lost their heridetary status, and their property was confiscated and sold off. The mansion's grounds were sold and developed over, and most of the mansion was demolished by the early Shōwa period, leaving only a tiny footprint, one twentieth of the yakata's original size, occupied by the surviving portions of the yakata today. It appears that the surviving hall was primarily used originally as offices rather than as a dwelling. The surviving buildings date to around 1830 as the original architecture was lost to fire in the late Edo period.
Suwa-Ôhōri-yakata was the residence of the high priest of Suwa Shrine. The garden is open to the public to wander around, but the buildings can't be entered. There is a gate, the main house, a storehouse, fences and shrines.
|English Name||Suwa Ohhouri Yakata|
|Year Founded||16th century|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||No main keep but other buildings|
|Designations||has Important Cultural Properties|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Access||Chino Station on the Chūō Line; 35 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||Free to walk around garden; no entry to buildings|
|Time Required||20 minutes|
|Location||Suwa, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 0' 1.19" N, 138° 7' 37.63" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2023|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|