Takayama Castle (Mino)

From Jcastle.info

[[||class=img-responsive]]

History

Takayamajō was built by Takayama Hideyori to protect Toki-Minamoto Clan residences, the Asano-yakata and Ôtomi-yakata, in the valley below circa 1338. In 1549, Akechi Sadāki took over Takayamajō. Lord Sadāki was assassinated by Akechi Sadahira in 1552, however, leaving a local power vacuum which saw a thousand warriors under the Oguri Clan attempt to capture Takayamajō. In response, Tôyama Kageyuki (lord of Naegijō) and Ori Mitsutada (lord of Orijō), local chiefs, sent 2,000 warriors to defend the castle, pushing back the Oguri.

In 1572, Takiyamajō's defences were improved by Hirai Tanomo with the support of Oda Nobunaga in order to counter Takeda Shingen's territorial ambitions in the region. The castle had a large garrison of seven hundred defenders at that time. In 1574, Takeda Katsuyori invaded Mino with 12,000 troops and put Takayamajō to siege. However, Takeda forces were forced to retreat after the battle of Nagashino the following year.

In 1582, Akechi Mitsuhide defeated Oda Nobunaga, and chaos erupted. At that time Mori Nagayoshi (lord of Kaneyamajō) took over Takayamajō. Following the battle of Sekiǵahara, the local Tsumagi Clan, who were the only clan in the area to side with Tokugawa Ieyasu, saw their territory expand, and Takayamajō became a branch castle of Tsumagijō in the Edo period. However, it was decommissioned in 1615 following an edict by the Shogunate, ikkoku-ichijō-rei, which saw many branch castles and lesser forts abolished.


Visit Notes

Takayamajō is a yamajiro (mountaintop castle) ruin in Toki Municipality. The castle-mount is maintained as a park and a watchtower has been reconstructed. The castle's layout consists of three baileys. There is an outer bailey formerly separated from the main bailey by a trench which appears to have now been filled in, and a lower bailey beneath the main bailey, which appears to have been eaten away at by landslides. There are other reconstructions, including a small gate. There is even a tiny bridge leading to a kabukimon (gateway without doors). I was impressed by this enthusiasm for the castle and put a shiny hundred yen coin in the donation box for the park's maintenance, found by the main gate; also, leaflets are stored here.




Gallery


Castle Profile
English Name Takayama Castle (Mino)
Japanese Name 美濃高山城
Founder Takayama Hideyori
Year Founded c. 1338
Castle Type Mountaintop
Castle Condition No main keep but other buildings
Historical Period Pre Edo Period
Features gates, turrets
Visitor Information
Access Toki-shi Station on the Chūō Main Line; 30 minute walk to park
Visitor Information 24/7 free; mountain
Time Required 30 minutes
Website https://www.tokitakayama.com/%E9%AB%98%E5%B1%B1%E5%9F%8E%E3%81%A8%E9%AB%98%E5%B1%B1%E5%AE%BF%E3%81%AE%E6%AD%B4%E5%8F%B2/
Location Toki, Gifu Prefecture
Coordinates 35° 21' 24.73" N, 137° 11' 37.75" E
Loading map...
Admin
Added to Jcastle 2024
Contributor ART
Admin Year Visited Viewer Contributed
Friends of JCastle
Kojōdan
Jōkaku Shashin Kiroku
Jōshi Meguri Bibōroku
Umoreta Kojō


0.00
(0 votes)
Add your comment
Jcastle.info welcomes all comments. If you do not want to be anonymous, register or log in. It is free.