Toyoda-tachi was built by Fujiwara Tsunekiyo in the 11th century. Tsunekiyo was granted a fief here in Esashi County by Minamoto Yoriyoshi, the Chinjufu-Shōgun (a ruler of a military district on the frontiers of the Yamato polity). Tsunekiyo's son, Kiyohira, was born at the estate. Fujiwara Kiyohira, a nobleman of mixed Yamato and Emishi heritage, would go on to found the Northern Fujiwara dynasty in 1100 which ruled much of Tōhoku as its own private domain for almost a century. Kiyohira relocated his seat from Toyoda-tachi to Hiraizumi Palace in 1099, but it is thought that Toyoda-tachi continued to function as a government office and clan residence thereafter during the reign of the Northern Fujiwara which ended in 1189. Toyoda-tachi was likely abandoned or destroyed by the Kamakura Shogunate during the battle for Ōshū in 1189.
Toyoda-tachi was reconstructed off-site in 1993 at the nearby Esashi-Fujiwara Village theme park.
Toyoda-tachi, or Toyoda-no-tachi ('tachi' is an older word synonymous to 'yakata' or 'date'), is a yakata (fortified manor hall) site in Esashi Township (formerly Esashi County), Ōshū Municipality. The site today, designated a local historic site, is maintained as a small park, but no ruins remain.
A reconstruction of Toyoda-tachi can be found just north of the historical site at the Esashi Fujiwara no Sato, an architectural park and out-door film studio which reproduces structures from the Heian period. The reconstruction of Toyoda-tachi sort of takes the form of a mountaintop castle due to the terrain, with "baileys" surrounded by embankments. One bailey contains a reconstruction of the residence of Fujiwara Tsunekiyo which corresponds to the first generation of Toyoda-tachi. The topmost, largest bailey, is a reconstruction of the residence of Fujiwara Kiyohira which corresponds to the second generation of Toyoda-tachi. So we see speculative reconstructions of what Toyoda-tachi looked like over time: living halls, workshops, storehouses, gatehouses and fortification structures are all reproduced.
Besides the reconstructions of the yakata/tachi, we can see reconstructions of various residences, halls, and fortifications from the Heian period at the park. In fact, the park is quite vast, and also contains partial reconstructions of the jōsaku fortifications Kuriyagawa-saku, Kawasaki-saku, and Ijijō. The jōsaku zone is found in the interior of the park in a valley and is garden-like. Located between the reconstructed yakata and the jōsaku zone, is a reconstruction of the Ataka-seki, a Heian period 'barrier gate' where Minamoto Yoshitsune and Saitō Benkei pass through in the famous tale in which Benkei reads from the eponymous subscription list and is forced to thrash his master.
There is also a reconstruction of the Kyara Palace, which was the kyokan (residence/palace) of the Northern Fujiwara in Hiraizumi, and the Yoshitsune-yashiki, which is a reconstruction of Minamoto Yoshitsune's mansion in Heian-kyō/Kyōto. The Yanagi-no-gosho, the main Fujiwara palace in Hiraizumi until around 1170, is also reproduced, though it is simply refered to as 'Seichō (Government Office)', which maybe shows that despite the obvious intention, this reconstruction is the most speculative; the real Hiraizumi-seichō has since been excavated extensively.
|No main keep but other buildings
|Local Historic Site
|Pre Edo Period
|gates, palace, walls
|9:00 - 17:00; 1,000 yen
|Ōshū, Iwate Prefecture
|39° 10' 47.06" N, 141° 11' 27.38" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited
|Friends of JCastle