Tsutsuhata Castle IV
The history of Tsutsuhatajō mostly goes along with that of Karidaôjō. It was part of a complex of fortifications built by the Takanashi Clan on their southern border to protect against the advances of the Takeda Clan. Takeda Shingen conquered the castle in 1561. For more information see Karidaôjō (Karidaoh Castle).
Tsutsuhatajō is a fortification complex consisting of five distinct fort sites. The castles are numbered one through five, with the fourth being Tsutsuhatajō-Yonnoshiro (Tsutsuhata Castle IV). Yonnoshiro is a long fort made up of leveled peaks along the ridge with interceding narrow baileys and climbing terraces. Similar as to how Ichinoshiro and Ninoshiro are quite close together, Yonnoshiro is close to Sannoshiro, but quite a way below Gonoshiro, relatively speaking. Like Sannoshiro, Yonnoshiro also has masonry strewn about with the odd stacked segment remaining, particularly around the upper bailey. A trench protects the rear of the foot before the ridge shoots up on its way to Gonoshiro.
|English Name||Tsutsuhata Castle IV|
|Year Founded||From 1492|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Artifacts||Kuruwa, Ishigaki, &c.|
|Access||Tsusumi Station on the Nagano Electric Line; 25-minute walk to trailhead at Ichinoshiro|
|Time Required||20 minutes|
|Location||Obuse, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 42' 6.52" N, 138° 20' 42.97" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2022|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|