Uesugi-yakata was the fortified manor hall and main living quarters of Uesugi Kenshin. It was destroyed in 1579 during a conflict which engulfed the site following the death of Uesugi Kenshin. It is said that the Hori Clan briefly occupied the site thereafter but the site had been put under plough by 1599.
The castle was about 300m north-south by 250m east-west, surrounded by an outer moat. Within a network of water moats five baileys were positioned like islands. These were the large square-shaped main bailey, the right angled second bailey which surrounded it to the north and west, the third bailey which was a smaller square beyond the second bailey, the fourth bailey adjacent to that in the west, and the fifth bailey which ran the length of the castle and also partially flanked the main bailey in the east.
Uesugi-yakata, the medieval fortified manor hall of the Uesugi Clan, is now a park, albeit its foot print used to extend across a much larger area of what is now just residential sprawl. There isn’t much to see in terms of any ruins, but there are some markers and explanations panels in the park.
|English Name||Uesugi Yakata|
|Alternate Names||Otate 御館|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Naoetsu Station on the Myoko-Haneuma and Nihonkai-Hisui lines; 12 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7; Free; Park|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Jouetsu, Niigata Prefecture|
|Coordinates||37° 10' 2.68" N, 138° 14' 7.30" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2021|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|