Yahatayama-toride was a small, simple fortification built and operated by the Obata Clan. Alternative historical names for the site included Nakajō and Kaminojō or Uenojō (上ノ城). This latter appellation is very similar to nearby Kouzuke Ueno Castle (上野城), which may have lead to confusion between the two sites (for example, when Takeda Shingen is recorded having attacked the area in 1563).
Yahatayama-toride is a comely fort ruin very easy to appreciate from below because the trees on the hill, which is about 50m high, have been cleared back. The site is now a park surrounded by vinyards. Ruins include kuruwa (a bailey), dorui (earthen ramparts) and kirigishi (terrain sculpted into steep embankments). The western side faces a natural slope, but the other sides have been cut into formiddable embankments about 6m high. The dorui segments are most prominent at either end of the single main enclosure, which is 60m north to south and 30m east to west. The northern dorui portion may have hosted a yagura (turret). Yahatayama-toride is twinned with Nagaune Fort, located on lower elevation.
|Pre Edo Period
|Dorui, Yaguradai, Kirigishi, Kuruwa
|Joushuu Fukushima Station on the Joushin Dentetsu Line; 35 minute walk or 15 minute cycle (free rental bicycle available at the station)
|Free; 24/7; Park
|Kanra, Gunma Prefecture
|36° 14' 3.95" N, 138° 55' 17.83" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited