Yoita-jin’ya was established in 1634 as a sub-domain of Nagaoka Domain valued at 10,000 koku for Makino Yasunari, the second son of Makino Tadanori who had been lord of Nagaoka Castle.
Ii Naonori took over Yoita-jin’ya in 1705 with a fief valued at 20,000 koku, rebuilding the fortifications and changing the central location of the jin’ya.
In 1804 Ii Naoaki became a wakadoshiyori, or ‘junior elder’, in the Edo-bakufu administration. With this rank Lord Naoaki was able to expand Yoita-jin’ya into a small scale fortress, and the jin’ya officially became a castle, Yoitajō. The expanded complex had an inner and outer bailey, both surrounded by water-filled moats fed from the Shinano River which also formed a natural barrier.
Yoita-jin’ya, aligned with imperial forces during the Boshin War, was attacked by Tokugawa loyalists in 1868 and destroyed.
Yoita-jin’ya is a jin’ya site in Yoita Town, Nagaoka Municipality. No ruins remain on site, but a kabukimon-style gate and walls have been reconstructed. Inside of the walls there is a carpark. At least three relocated gates are identified with Yoita-jin’ya. Two are found in Yoita. The kiritemon has been relocated to Ongyōji, a temple around the corner from the jin’ya. The ôtemon (main gate) has been relocated to the Yoita-betsuin, a local Honganji branch temple; it is the smaller of the temple’s two gates. A final gate, which seems a little more dubious to me in its origins, can be found at Saifukuji, a temple in Nagaoka city (proper). This gate is referred to simply as jōmon, meaning ‘castle gate’, so what function it had at the jin’ya appears unknown.
Yoita-jin’ya is sometimes referred to as ‘Yoitajō’ but it is located on the plain between two yamajiro sites, Yoitajō and Motoyoitajō, which were the original Yoita castles.
|English Name||Yoita Jin'ya|
|Alternate Names||Yoitajō (與板城)|
|Founder||Makino Yasunari; Ii Naonori; Ii Naoaki|
|Year Founded||1634; 1705; 1804|
|Castle Condition||No main keep but other buildings|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Access||Nearest station is Mitsuke Station on the Shin’etsu Line|
|Visitor Information||Open 24/7; free (carpark)|
|Time Required||20 minutes|
|Location||Nagaoka, Niigata Prefecture|
|Coordinates||37° 32' 39.01" N, 138° 48' 40.93" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2023|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|